Chili throw-down happening at First Friday
Fire & Ice event will include metal forging, ice sculpting and more
There’s so much happening at February First Friday that you might not know where to start your evening.
A suggestion? Start with the most important thing — food. More specifically, chili. From 5:30 to 9 p.m. Friday, Feb. 3, Fire & Ice First Friday presents the fourth annual K-Town Chili Throwdown. Downtown businesses and organizations will put their chili-crafting skills to the test while vying for awards, including Judges’ Choice Chili and People’s Choice Chili. Back by popular demand, People’s Choice Showmanship brings with it a “Throw-Down” plaque and bragging rights for a whole year.
To combat the heat of the chili, Indiana Ice Studio will conduct ice-sculpting demonstrations from 6 to 7 p.m. in the Rain Garden Plaza at Main and Mulberry streets. You won’t get too cold though as Nate Hardin of Hardin Bladeworks will present a bladesmithing and metal forging demo from 6:30 to 8 p.m. at Artist Alley, 210 N. Main St.
With time left on the clock, 14 organizations have already signed up to compete. The list includes some traditional and some not-so-traditional chili concoctions, including Dark Knight Chili, Chocolate Chili and Peanut Butter, PBR and Poblano Chili.
That evening, downtown will also play host to the American Heart Association and UAW Local 685 Women’s Committee’s Paint the Town Red event. Superior V will host an opening reception and silent auction for the event. Doors open at 5 p.m., with the silent auction beginning immediately. At 6 p.m., there will be a progressive tour of the city of Kokomo. From 9 to 11 p.m., The Edgars will perform live. While listening to the teenage duo rock out, grab the event’s signature drink at Superior V.
As part of Paint the Town Red, Jamie’s Soda Fountain, A. Michaels, Cook McDoogals and Gingerbread House Bakery will be selling food and beverages to benefit the American Heart Association.
Speaking of all things red, Valentine’s Day is just around the corner. To get you ready for the big day, Kokomo Men of Note will be on hand singing love songs and taking orders for singing valentines.
Other planned activities:
- Indiana University Kokomo Union Street Gallery will present a new exhibit, “Concept to Finish.” Exhibits “Contested Object-Bodies” and “Hollow” Exhibitions will also be on display in the gallery.
- Eclectic me will be set up downtown offering a wide variety of jewelry, art and vintage items.
- United Steelworkers Local 2958 will host an Indoor Craft & Vendor Fair with multiple booths and a giveaway.
- At the Coterie, listen to live jazz music from Wade Baker.
- Comics Cubed will give away a “The Walking Dead” comic book to the first 200 people in the store from 6 to 8 p.m. Be prepared to tell them your favorite “The Walking Dead” character.
- Elementary-aged children will be given the opportunity to play a game or draw a picture to win a prize from the treasure chest at the Redeemer Lutheran School.
For more, find First Friday on Facebook.