Get techy wit it at First Friday in March
Because technology plays such a major role in the Kokomo community, it shouldn’t come as a surprise that there’s no shortage of tech wizards here. And they’ll be showing off their ooh-and-aah-inspiring technology and gadgets at the March First Friday.
From 5:30 to 9 p.m. Friday, March 3, Techno Night will take over downtown Kokomo and showcase the area’s technology businesses, institutions, groups and their tech-minded people. There will be technology lovers of all ages and skill levels, from students to professionals to hobbyists.
There will be agriculture technology as Ivy Tech Community College will have the Agriculture Precision Training Trailer on display. Inside the trailer, the School of Technology will demonstrate the advancements in robotic automation in farming.
There will be out-of-this-world technology at the Kokomo Family YMCA as members of the Kokomo Amateur Radio Club talk about their recent contacts with astronauts on the International Space Station. You can get an up-close look at the equipment used in that contact and see demonstrations of other types of radio equipment. You’ll also learn about the role local radio operators play in storm spotting and how to be part of their upcoming Skywarn training session, as well as an upcoming beginner technician class starting in April.
You’ll also want to check out the friendly competition between members of the Elwood Haynes Elementary School robotics club. The students will demonstrate their VEX robotics at Jamie’s Soda Fountain.
Other First Friday happenings will include:
- Artworks Gallery, 210 N. Main St., will display local art and so much more. The gallery will host the Eastern Woodland Carver’s Club, which will demonstrate carving. It will also host the Kokomo High School Drama Club which will perform scenes from its upcoming play, “Dead Men Don’t Need Dress Rehearsals,” at 6 and 6:30 p.m.
- SHAK Makerspace will present 3D printing demonstrations and share recent maker projects at Carpenter’s Union 615, 103 N. Buckeye St.
- Learn about the many advancements in home automation systems with Maverick Security Solutions.
- See a Chevy S-10 truck converted from gas powered to pure electric with solar panels at PF Hendricks & Co., 101 N. Buckeye St.
- Main Street Café will host demonstrations by the Robo-Raptors, Kokomo Area Schools at Home FIRST LEGO League team.
- Elsewhen Technology will give users of all ages a chance for some hands-on computer activity and tips on how to avoid computer viruses. Plus, you’ll have a chance to win a full year of residential computer monitoring and repair.
- Head into United Steelworkers Union Local 2958, 420 N. Main St., and browse the many shopping booths starting at 4 p.m. There will also be glow-in-the-dark bracelets for kids and root beer floats for all while supplies last.
- Children are invited to design a puff mobile and race it with Bona Vista Child Care Solutions, 123 N. Buckeye St. There will also be information about its free lending library.
- Girl Scouts of Indiana will have its S.T.E.M. vehicle available downtown for children to do a Science, Technology, Engineering & Math activity.
- Film for Thought will share tips and tricks of the film-making process at Beyond Borders Language Learning Center, 108 N. Main St.
For complete details, visit www.FirstFridayKokomo.com and stay up-to-date with First Friday on Facebook and Twitter.