Be part of the K-Town Chili Throw-down
It’s all going down at the February First Friday event. The 4th annual K-Town Chili Throw-down returns!
Downtown businesses and organizations will put their chili-crafting skills to the test while vying for awards, including Judges’ Choice Chili and People’s Choice Chili. Back by popular demand, People’s Choice Showmanship brings with it a “Throw-Down” plaque and bragging rights for a whole year.
And anyone can be part of the battle! Individuals, businesses and organizations throughout the community are invited to join the competition on Feb. 3 during First Friday. To participate, connect with a downtown business or organization where you’ll serve your possibly award-winning chili. Don’t have a downtown business connection? Call Susan Alexander at 765-210-6507 and she’ll help find you a home! You must be registered with Susan or a downtown business/organization by Jan. 25.
Here’s how it works:
• Make your best chili, but be sure to make enough for you, your First Friday guests and event judges. If you want to compete in the showmanship contest, create a theme and make a setting that complements your chili name and theme. Past winners of the showmanship category have created saloon scenes and outer space scenes, complete with costumed chili servers.
• The Downtown Association will provide tasting cups, spoons, napkins and a judging cup for all entrants.
• Fill Judging cup with chili and take to the Kokomo Perspective, 209 N. Main St., between 5:15 to 5:30 p.m. Judging begins at 5:30 p.m. sharp.
• Call Susan Alexander at 765-210-6507 if you need any more chili-tasting supplies, or if you have a question.
• Share your chili with visitors and give them maps on which they can vote for your chili.
• Alert your visitors to the voting section of the First Friday Map. Have them vote for your chili and scene then turn in their ballots at the Information Booth at Main & Walnut (Courthouse Corner) by 8 p.m. to be counted.
• Winners will be announced over social media at the close of First Friday.